Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Nica-What.

Buenas dias mi amores. I hope everyone is well. Again I just want to thank everyone who has taken time out of their busy schedule to read this blog – I appreciate all of your support more than you can imagine. So I survived this week despite not having electricity and water three of the six days. It was interesting to say the least. I have tried to make this blog a bit more organized for the pleasure of my readers – here it goes.

Language
So I like to think that I am improving greatly in this area and hopefully most others would agree. Despite this advancement it is incredibly difficult to walk into a waiting room of strangers in the Centro de Salud (health center) and give a presentation on HIV/AIDS, including a condom demonstration. These topics are difficult to talk about in your own culture/language - imagine giving information about sex in another language. I can get frustrated with myself at times, when I am unable to pronounce a word and explain myself. But it is becoming more and more apparent to me that I need to let go of my perfectionist characteristics in order to be successful here. With time, I am gaining more patience with others – and even more so with myself (thanks mom!). (side note: Nicaragua is not the place to come to if you are self-conscious. They refer to people by describing their body or origin. Entonces, gorda (fat), ojos de un gato (eyes of a cat) and cringa are not words that you can be offended by)
It is amazing though how much I rely on non-verbal communication. Nica’s love to use their hands to explain – and it just so happens I do as well. Ha. There are also a lot of common grounds between this culture and my own. Love for music. Love for sports. Love for writing. Love for photography. It is amazing how all of these things do not require that much communication and they instantaneously create a common bond between two people. I am definitely thinking of doing a photography project with my youth group when I get to my site. Cameras are not all that common here and youth are fascinated with taking photos. My Nica-brother, Randall, is even beginning to understand the style of abstract. When I get to my site (the place I will be for two years by myself) I will have a lot more freedom to start projects of my own with my community.
Class
We have six hours a day of language training – both formal and non-formal education. It can definitely be tedious at times, but it is nothing like a language class in the states. There is very little focus on grammatical lessons – and more practical exercises. Today we practices giving directions by playing pin the tale on the donkey. Somehow I ended up outside in the street –and they were trying to get me to kiss Brad (a guy in my group). I may or may not trust my group.
This morning I gave a charla on how HIV is transmitted at the health center and I am incredibly pleased with how it went. I was paired with Evan (the guy with zero personality) to give charlas this week and next. Either the teacher thinks that I can help him become more extroverted, or she hates me. Either one. This morning did go incredibly well though – and I was impressed with how he performed (insert: that’s what she said joke).

Caterina

This past Saturday I went to Catarina, a nearby town, with Brad’s family. (cultural fact: when you invite someone to go somewhere – you are offering to pay for them here. If you do not intend to pay for them – you say during the invitation that if they want to come they have to do it “the american way”..aka pay for themselves). Catarina was the most beautiful place I have seen in Nicaragua yet. It is a lagoon at the base of a nearby mountain, about 25 minutes away. ‘Fresca’ or ‘Frio’ are terms I don’t really pay attention to here – because they think it is cold when it is 75 degrees and a little windy. Well, the warnings about Catarina were correct. It sure was cold. Probably about 60 degrees and 30mph winds off the water.
Security/Seguridad
On Wednesday we had a security briefing with Julio (who is a kinda attractive) and it was quite intense. Apparently kidnapping is kinda a big deal in Managua, where the Peace Corps office is located. Our directions when using a taxi in Managua include: check the license plate, take a picture of license plate, call the Peace Corps office and give the name of the cab driver and our location, also call every ten minutes until we arrive at our location. Intense? A little bit. It is not very common among volunteers but apparently it happened about two weeks ago to one. Also, during this presentation, four current volunteers shared experiences when they were victims of theft. It is the most common crime among PC volunteers. I am not accepting that it is going to happen, but it is likely that something will happen during these two year. I will do everything in my power to prevent it (I have only used my nice camera, Nikon, twice since I have been here – because it attracts so much attention. Hopefully when I get to my own sight and develop more of a relationship with the community, I will be able to use it more).
Site Location
During our first interview with the Program Director, Pilar, I told her about my allergic reactions to bees and that my doctor requested I be within thirty minutes from a hospital. She didn’t seem concerned, but did say that I will not be in a very, very rural area. There are some sites that are fourteen hours from Managua or another volunteer of their sector (I am in the Health Sector, other sectors include: environment, agriculture, teaching English and small business). I think I would be okay in that area – but there are countless benefits to being in a more urban area. There will be more opportunities to work with more groups, NGOs, kids, etc, more resources, closer access to internet, closer to other volunteers and easier for people to come visit me!!! J hint, hint. I have come to accept that I am limited in terms of my site locations and I am just thankful to have been accepted into the PC. The work that I will be doing here is much, much more important than the location. I did express to Pilar that I would love to continue to work on HIV/AIDS. No matter where I end up I will be working within three aspects of health, but I am able to focus on one area more than another. The three areas are: HIV/AIDS, Prenatal/Maternal Care, Sex Education. I am also mandated to start a youth group in my town which will involve health topics as well.

So currently I am giving charlas in the Health Center and we are running two youth groups (one that we formed on our own – and one that was already formed at the health center). Next week we start giving charlas at the School (4th-6th grade). These topics will be much less intense and include topics such as: self-esteem, washing hands, smoking cigarettes, nutrition (OMG THEY NEED THIS) and others. Perhaps the most exciting part about living in a medium to large size town will be having access to fruits and vegetables (as I stare at my cold tortilla and queso fresco aka the saltiest cheese alive).
Ruby
Is amazing. She is my three-year old littler Nica-sister. No matter how I am feeling, when she yells “Amaaaanda” and run up to me (sometimes I pick her up for exercise purposes…she is 49lbs. 3 years old) everything is all good. She definitely is helping me deal with being away from Ethan. After viewing a video of him smiling and laughing – I had my first little cry since I have been here. I want to be there SOO badly for those moments… I hope Justin and Erin know I am there in heart.
Random facts about my life in Nicaragua:
1. I clean my own underwear on a cement block washing board.
2. I don’t poop. Ever.
3. I am no longer scared of any bugs/insects (besides bees)
4. My mom thinks I don’t know how to look sexy – so she has made it her purpose to help me (ex. She ironed my hair a few nights ago. With an Iron. A legit Iron. Not be confused with a straightening iron)
5. I had my first dream in Spanish last night
6. I am constantly going to be talking about fluid exchange, condoms, and penis’ these next two years. Daily.
7. People drink Coca-Cola here like it is agua.
8. Nicaraguans are missing the middle of the food/nutrition pyramid (fruits, veggies)
9. It is normal to pass a pig, a chicken, a dog that looks dead and an immense amount of poop while walking down the street.
10. The most English I have heard here has been “I love you forever” or “Beautiful” while passing by Nica-men.
11. It is very common to have a ‘pulperia’ or store attached to your house. They do mix business with pleasure.
12. ‘Boots with Fur’ is currently at the top of the music charts here in Nicaragua.

12 comments:

  1. OMG, what a great blog entry. I laughed so hard. There were a couple of parts I would rather not have heard about, but that is because I am your father! I love you and I am so proud of you!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you sooooo much babe!! your blog entries are hilarious and informative and I'm so proud of you and know your gonna get the most out of the experience and Nicaragua is gonna have the best person from the 1st state they could have! Can't wait to hear from you
    Brian Sackey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Mandy That Sound Very Exciting, We Send All Our Love And Best Wishes, And We'll Be Reading Along. Love Uncle John,Aunt Diana& Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, our Angel, loved reading your experience, we pray for you every night. Remember that we are so proud to have you as a Granddaughter. I sent a copy of the news letter to all my friends. They were so impressed that you are doing this. I always knew you were an angel. Love, Mom-mom and Pop-pop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bold? Check. Paragraphs? Check.

    I can't believe you don't poop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear you had your first dream in Spanish. You'll have all the jargon down in now time. If I could send you fruits and veggies, I would. Don't they grow that stuff right all over the place? What do they do with their crops? Hopefully when you get to your next destination, you'll have a better balanced diet. You are in my prayers daily too! Keep safe and DO pay attention to what's happening around you -- trust your instincts! Love reading your blog. Your writing is worth publishing! Can you get malt? It will help with the no-poop situation. (Don't like hearing you can't use your camera!!!) Hugs, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The comments and opinions expressed in this blog are those of the writer and not of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps."

    This makes me laugh. Also, I keep hearing different girls' nights out songs and start laughing... people look at me like I'm a kook. Miss you!

    Cheers to poo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I just got back from the Netherlands/Paris and couldn't wait to see if you posted another blog. I love reading your writing! So I survived in the Netherlands it was cold and raining but we still went and saw everything, I still can't understand a single word of Dutch. We went to Paris on Valentine's day and it was beautiful, I ate onion soup and was thinking about you! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looove reading your blogs! i laugh, i cry.
    miss you tons
    love, holly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy your blog!
    Some helpful advice. Drink coffee for a couple days (it is cheap and readily available), it will get your intestines on the right track. It will be instant "Presto" coffee, but it does the trick when you are not use to the change in diet. Good call on not using your camera... they make you easy targets. I've never had anything bad happen to me in Managua, but I am constantly aware of my belongings and surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda,
    I just found your blog on Peace Corps Journals. I can't wait to read more - first of all because you are hilarious, second of all because I just got my invitation packet for Nica 51 in the mail today. I'll be there starting in May. PLEASE pass along any tips you have for a new recruit.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the person who told you to drink coffee to get your bowels on the move. Perhaps a spot of cream will assist you also.

    Please tell me that Evan doesn't have your blog address because he was described as "Zero Personality..." although I guess he could have been described much worse.

    Missing you.
    jillie

    ReplyDelete